The greatest risk a person can have is a serious accident within two years of passing the driving test. Here are some useful tips that can be followed to reduce the risks.
1. After passing the driving test, it will be quite strange to find the passenger seat in the front. It would be better to take someone with you for support when driving for the first time. A ‘P’ plate must be displayed.
2. When one has to drive alone, familiar roads are the best to start with. A road map should also be kept in case one gets lost.
3. When you gain self-confidence, you drive like you own the car but not the road.
4. As one has learned to drive and has passed the driving test following the rules. This habit must be followed to stay safe. This will also keep others safe on the road.
5. Quick reactions will not only prevent one from having an accident. This will give you plenty of time to respond to upcoming problems.
6. One should drive in a manner that suits one’s ability and the traffic conditions. Driving fast in the wrong places will never impress anyone, but it will indeed create problems.
7. It is better to get enough sleep before going on a long trip. Taking breaks is also good for restoring alertness. The radio can be listened to for traffic reports and one has to make sure there is enough fuel.
8. Playing with the radio while driving is distracting. Also, playing the sound system at a high volume is not good because it can prevent one from hearing the sirens of an emergency vehicle.
9. Partners may be given a ride but remember they must be in control of the vehicle. Only the driver has to be in control.
10. You must be alert but use your eyes, but passengers must not be frightened by turning their heads away from the road while talking to one of them.
11. Taking license plates on the freeway is good and one should seriously think about their advanced driver training. Research reveals what makes better drivers.
12. The laws of physics are not suspended in case of driving a four-wheel drive engine. You can still lose control if you wonder too much about it.
13. Valuables should not be left in the car where they can be seen inviting entry.
14. Considerable space and distance should always be maintained from aggressive drivers. One cannot afford to get involved in any problem.
15. The lights must also be on whenever the windshield wipers need to be turned on.
16. Foot controls should be used with great care when driving on a slippery or loose surface.
17. Taking drugs and driving is like drinking alcohol while driving. The answer will definitely be ‘NO’.
18. Professional advice is needed before driving abroad.
19. Some tools need to be kept in the car.
20. If you drive alone (especially women), you should plan your trip and let someone know. The following items should be brought such as maps, pen, paper, first aid kit, small coins, flashlight, warm clothes/blanket, and a fire extinguisher. A mobile phone should also be carried just for emergencies, as well as a personal attack alarm.
21. Don’t panic if your vehicle breaks down. There are more kind people on the road than those who want to do harm. If possible, areas where there are houses, street lights, and telephones are better places to stop. If one is in a remote area, staying inside the car will be less risky. Mobile phone can be used for help. In case a stranger offers help, then it is better to write down their car number and talk to them through the closed window, they should be sent for help.